Monday 8 December 2014

Recipe - Mulling Syrup

Now I don't like Red Wine in the slightest, but what I do like is Mulled Wine! It's the smell of the rich Christmas tones that make me really happy. In previous years I have bought bottles of pre-made but this year I decided to make my own and it has worked beautifully plus its hella easy and will save you money!

Ingredients

250g caster sugar
2 oranges, halved
2 cinnamon sticks
6 whole cloves
1 heaped tsp nutmeg
small piece of ginger, sliced
1 heaped tsp allspice
1 litre water



Method to the Madness

Put all the ingredients in a pan with 1 litre of water and simmer for 20 minutes.

Strain through with a fine sieve once cool and decant into sterilised bottles. It's worth noting that although I have called this syrup don't expect it to have a thick consistency.


When you are ready to use heat up some red wine in a pan and add roughly 90ml per large glass of red wine, although I like mine quite sweet so make sure you add a bit and taste to test. Stir through until hot and drink. This would also work with cider, I'd suggest Old Rosie's. Serve with a slice of orange or just gulp down on its own.


It really is that easy! It makes the house smell absolutely divine, I'm tempted to have some simmering away at all times just for the smell. I've already got through a bottle of syrup and am on to my second!

C x

No comments:

Post a Comment