Tuesday 5 May 2015

Isle of Wight

As I am sure most of you know I work at a school in the Operations side of things, so although I have contact with the pupils most days they are slightly removed from my every day role. Last week however I was offered a chance to go on a school trip to the Isle of Wight.

I haven't been on a school trip since I was in secondary school so coming up a good fifteen years, so I jumped at the chance to go on an activities holiday and run around like a big kid!

I have no idea what I was thinking! The difference between being a child on a school trip and being the adult responsible for those children is a whole different matter. I have so much respect for all teachers for having to look after children on a daily basis because it is just exhausting!

You have to be switched on 24/7, as the welfare and safety of the kids is the most important thing. I mean it was just a constant soundtrack of 'Miss Hewitt, Miss Hewitt, Miss Hewitt'. 'Miss Hewitt, how does this work?' 'Miss Hewitt, when is lunch?' 'Miss Hewitt, what time is it?' I fell asleep every night to the white noise of this.

Do you know what though it was really worth it. I now have 11 new best friends, and a whole experience that I wouldn't have dreamed of.

On arrival to our cabins we got straight into the activities, which I continued to take part in over the 3 days we were there.

We went hunting on the beach for crabs and tried to rock climb.....



I took part in the Cat Walk, what felt like a death defying tightrope trip, at some height. My smile here is not genuine....


This one is because I came back down to earth....



I drew the line at the trapeze though, and although I attempted abseiling I just couldn't convince myself that throwing myself backwards over a 35ft drop was a good idea, so I had to climb back down the stairs. You really are fearless when you are younger, but it soon disappears!

The weather was glorious, which was such a relief as the forecast had said rain all week and it's always much nicer outside when you don't end up soggy!



I honestly had the best time despite the fact I was dead on my feet by the end of the week and I love that I had the opportunity to go.

C x

No comments:

Post a Comment